IELTS Academic Writing Task 1: Coffee and Tea
The chart shows the result of a survey about people’s coffee and tea buying and drinking habits in five Australian cities. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
- Survey – Study
- Result – outcome
- Drinking – consume, or consumption
- Habits – practice, or routine
- Percentage – rate, ratio
- Residents – locals
- Less than 45% of people in Sydney and Melbourne consumed fresh coffee.
- Only a third of people in Brisbane and Adelaide bough fresh coffee in the last four weeks
- 36% of Hobartians ordered fresh coffee in four weeks’ time..
- 45% of Sydneysiders ordered instant coffee.
- Nearly half of the Melburnian bought instant coffee.
- Almost half of the people in Brisbane, Adelaide, and Hobart bought instant coffee in the last four weeks.
- Around 60% of the locals in Sydney, Melbourne, and Hobart went to a cafe to have coffee or tea.
- Brisbane and Adelaide have less than 50%.
The bar graph compares the four-week study of the consumption of coffee and tea in five cities in Australia. Overall, all locals in each city preferred to go to a cafe and have their selected beverage rather than just buying fresh or instant coffee.
Getting freshly brewed coffee had the least percentage in all cities, accounting for around 40% in the cities of Sydney, Melbourne, and Hobart while only a third in the cities of Brisbane, and Adelaide in the last four weeks. There were only a few percentage differences between the consumption of brewed coffee and instant coffee in the city of Sydney and Melbourne, however, a 15% gap is noticed in the other three cities.
More than 60% of Sydneysiders, Melburnian, and Hobartians preferred to go to a cafe and have their preferred beverage in the last four weeks, while Brisbanite and Adelaideans were around half of its population, 55% and 50% respectively.
Ian Tanpiuco created Educatorian in order to practice his skills in Writing and SEO. He is a Junior Web Developer in an ESL school in the Philippines while also doing some ESL Tutorial online. His goal is to create his own Learning Management System + Website that will allow students and teachers to connect. He also wants to practice his writing and speaking skills including digital marketing.