IELTS Speaking Part 1 – Birthday
IELTS Speaking Part 1 (Birthday)
What do you usually do on your birthday?
- It depends on the day it falls, if it is during the weekdays, then I will do my regular tasks at work and probably have lunch with my buddies outside the office. Then for dinner, we will go to (TGIF) Fridays. However, when my birthday landed on a weekend, most of the time, I have brunch with Andrew and probably spend hours just hanging out. Then I tend to work a bit as it is my tradition since I was 18, then at dinner time, either we go bar hopping.
- When I was 18, the first day of my job was on my birthday, and since then I made sure that I am working on my birthday. It is my tradition for almost 16 years now. I will turn 34 this 25th of January, and I will surely work but I do make sure to have either lunch or dinner with the family.
What did you do on your birthday when you were young?
- My mom usually came to my room around 6ish as I was born around that time, she always tells me her story that she was in labor at 11 PM on the 24th and it lasted for 12 hours, so that became a routine until I was 24.
- I grew up in a place where a birthday is not celebrated so it was just another day for us with just simple greetings. My mom greeted me first and she could be bothered by throwing a party so the most thing that I will do is to grab a place of pasta and chicken wings with soda and that is my birthday activity as a child.
Do you think it is important for you to celebrate your birthday?
- When I was in my early 20s it is very important for me as I think highly of myself and I feel upset if my friends or work friends could not make it. But as I became older and wiser, I understand that I am not that special so I don’t bother people coming to my birthday or not. In fact, when I was 24, I remove all the information about my birthday on social media so I don’t need to invite anyone. A simple dinner with my family is sufficient and just working in peace is enough for me.
What birthday is the most important to celebrate in China?
- I believe that the birth of China is the most important birthday for all Chinese people. This shows their unity as one country, and it is so important that the government declared it a week-long holiday. Sometimes it is longer than Spring Festival so people from all over the country can visit their relatives or just rest the whole week.
Check other collections here.
Check my personal website here
Ian Tanpiuco is an ESL and virtual assistant. With a decade of experience, he has become an expert in his field. Dedicated to helping others achieve their goals, Ian works tirelessly in the classroom or as a virtual assistant.